RENEWD “On the Offense”: How to Succeed When Your Paid and Free Users Demand Different Content
March 23, 2023 11:00 am – 11:45 am ET / 4:00 pm – 4:45 pm GMT
Join us Thursday, March 23 when On The Offense tackles a challenge shared by many Renewd members: How to Succeed When Your Paid and Free Users Demand Different Content.
This month’s star guest, John Hitchcock of Energy Intelligence, recently discovered a gap between their web analytics reporting and their paid content strategy. The different use cases they saw appeared to offer a huge new growth opportunity. “Our traditional users are huge consumers of news more centrally around energy topics,” John explains. Unfortunately, their newer web visitors wanted something different. “They’re generally less familiar with energy and they respond more to articles on geopolitics and risk. What intrigued us was, is there enough of an overlap to make the new fit with the old?”
Like most digital publishers, John’s web analytics data on content usage is rich and deep. But, the leadership struggled to answer two questions:
1) Could Energy Intelligence produce quality content to compete for these new users, and
2) If so, would they pay for it? The analytics weren’t answering those critical questions.
Join John Hitchcock and host David Foster for this exclusive Renewd On the Offense session to learn how Energy Intelligence responded. You’ll discover:
- How do you quantify the costs of investing in a new market segment that isn’t as involved as your core readers?
- What metrics can help you decide whether these new users were buyers?
- Can you adjust your free content strategies to better understand prospect needs?
- How do you make the decision to launch—or kill—a new product when your existing content doesn’t match the new use case?
- Does the economics shift when your most devoted readers are in a mature—or shrinking—marketplace?
- When you don’t have purchase histories for a new market segment, what can you do to make your market sizing and financial estimates more robust?
- What did John and his team finally do?
- And, much more…
You won’t want to miss John’s fresh and very practical perspective in How to Succeed When Your Paid and Free Users Demand Different Content, this month’s On the Offense, moderated by David Foster. Be part of the 45 minute open discussion Thursday, March 23, starting at 4 BT/11 ET! Register for On the Offense here.